- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 pounds tomatoes - cored, peeled, and quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 sprigs fresh basil for garnish
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in onions and cook until tender. Mix in tomatoes and chopped basil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the chicken broth, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking 15 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and gradually mix in the heavy cream.
- Pour soup through a strainer before serving.
- Garnish each serving with a sprig of basil.